Friday, December 16, 2016

The Last Supper

A Recent Photo Unit Tradition. Those who have retired over the years. Gone before I.

















I don't remember what I was thinking when I woke up today aside from having a desire to make it into the gig. It's my first day back to work after two days off, yet it's my last day of work, ever - at least for the City of Philadelphia.

I don't know exactly how it feels. I've been asked, and I think I wrote somewhere, that there's a variety of feelings that come and go in waves. There's nostalgia, but there's also no feeling that I'm going to miss the place, or the job... maybe a few of the people or some of the unofficial traditions we had; but don't ask me to name any. They may come up in future conversations in the form of... we used to.... etc.

At this point the countdown has ended and I have to focus on leaving. My time has been extended because I didn't realize when I choose my final day on the job that I'd have to have a checkout day, or an appointment with the Board of Pensions before I left. So I'm here for the holidays and no gripes about that. It's meant to be so make the best of it.

ID Picture c. Dec 1987
I will really have to get going on clearing out the house. Everything is junk but nothing seems like junk to me. I am a collector and I can imaging myself needing or wanting something I go rid of now, in some future, however I haven't used said item(s) in many years. I should imagine each item I need to discard as a weight around my neck, similar to Jacob Marley from the classic A Christmas Carroll story. It's a matter of mindset as most goals are.

In any case, with this entry, this blog comes to an end. You can look back on the year (the 367 days) that led up to this point. If you haven't subscribed, there's no need to now. There will be no more entries after this. Goodbye Philadelphia, as a blog is over... however I'm not gone yet.

The new product is The Gospel of Nox: Vagabond Philosopher, this blog will keep you posted on what's happening with me on the road and in my imagination. A few kilometers removed and without the burden of employment might make my insights a bit more dramatic and pointed, and maybe even more honest. In many ways I am in a cultural bubble, living, operating and exploring in a realm of like-minded humans and that's not an ideal environment for growth. Comfort maybe, but not necessarily growth.

Cheers my friends, and Goodbye Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment