Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Freedom Year

One day left!

Well, let's bring us up to date because it's been a few days since I've reported on anything. I believe history should be taught from today and then go backwards. so this is how this report will unfold.

Yesterday was an interesting day. I managed to set my kitchen table on fire experimenting with one of those off-the-grid convection heaters made out of flower pots. My dumb ass didn't put the candles in candle holders... and now i have a charred reminder of my stupidity... negligence... in the middle of my table.

Later that day I find out that a friend of mine, for just about twenty years now, has been in the hospital since October. Earlier he lost the big toe on his right foot, due to an infection, which was complicated by diabetes. Yesterday he told me his left leg had been amputated from the knee down. I'm sure that was a blow to him, but he was in good spirits and determined to make a comeback. I mention this in the context of history. I hope he does make a comeback and manages to reverse his diabetes.

Speaking of which; I recently met a guy at the YMCA who told me he used to weigh 349 lbs., and was diabetic. He lost the weight, reversed the diabetes, but lost a toe to something else.. osteo-something-or-other. I was impressed.

Also yesterday I took a couple of hours vacation from the gig and of course I missed the delivery of my computer. I probably haven't mentioned it here (I made a clip), but my HP PC died after a scant three years of service (I may get it fixed at some point), so I ordered a new one through Dell. It turned out to be moot, however I told Franklin (at the call center) that I wanted it delivered on Wednesday, because that's when I'd be home. Of course it was delivered on Monday.

The door-tag, as they call it said I my package would be available at the FedEx location after 6pm, and on the same tag it stated the hours were from 9am - 5pm. I called customer service and got nowhere; then was transferred to tech-support. If you want to have your item custom delivered which if FedEx bullshit-speak for when you're home to receive it, you have to register and enroll in their program. But wait - isn't.. or wasn't the point of what was once an alternative delivery system to the US Postal Service to deliver packages to the customer better faster and more reliably than the post office did? Why should I enroll in a program that does what the service is supposed to already be doing??

Most of the time, when I order regular items, I go through the USPS. This is exactly why Amazon will be challenging shippers like FedEx.

Guess you can tell I am fairly frustrated with them. I think I should be able to call, let them know the ideal day and approximate time I can be there to receive the package - and no problem, no hassle.

As it turns out FedEx will make three attempts. They will probably make an attempt today, although I told the representative from the company that I won't be there. It's a waste of time. But on to more items.

Okay - on to the departure and Freedom Year, which is what I decided to call 12-16-16 to 12-17-17 and somehow I'll be able to work it into the Noxsoma blog title or subtitle, which will probably begin that day.. or at least promoted that day.

I fully intend to make 12-16-16 the last day of work and the first day of Freedom Year by coming into the gig and just chillin' for a while. I have to check on the 22nd and meet with the pension board on the 28th, which means Christmas with the Fam and New Year with the Fram; which I figure is the way it's supposed to work out.

Several opportunities and suggestions have been presented for Freedom Year and I haven't completely decided on everything yet. Everyone wants to know where I'm going and where I'm moving. I just tell them, 'I'm going to keep moving.' because that's as much of a plan as I have. But less I spoil the suspense for you, I'm not going to reveal that plan here... you'll have to follow along.

Oh yeah, one more item; today the folks i work with are putting together a little luncheon in my honor. I am going to have to swallow some of my introvert issues and show up, be cordial, appreciative and friendlier than usual. I think a few of them get it... it's an introvert thing.

Ciao, Love, Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment