Tuesday, November 15, 2016

30 Days... And Wake Up

Framily Love During Tim's Open Studio Tour - Oct. 2016
And suddenly it's the day before November 16th... and I'm down to thirty days until.. ahem... retirement. I'm ready, but I'm not ready. And, as if the universe knows this - my escape has been delayed by two weeks.

I vowed not to spend another winter in Philadelphia - but once again, the Uni has other "plans." I don't suppose I'll be here the whole winter... but it looks like I will be here for Christmas and possibly New Year's... but I won't have to work, so I can go to a party - or something.

The Plan

I didn't really have a plan. It was more of an idea. I thought my last day would be the 16th of December, 2016. I choose this date because it seemed to align with some kind of numerological whatever... I had in mind. 12-16-16... It's a Friday and it's a double 16... It's also 9 days beyond my 29th anniversary date... buffer, just in case I didn't have the full 29. I thought I could be on a plane to Miami on December 20th, until I went to personnel to find out what I needed to do.

Short story - I have to wait until December 22 to come back into the gig, check out and get my new ID. Then, after Christmas I have my meeting with the pensions board to establish my post-career compensation.... or should I call it sustenance. Then... shortly after the new year, I can make my escape.

I'm thinking that extra time will help take care of some odds and ends that I've been putting off.

Meanwhile....


Men of a Certain Age. The Mall Small Hills 11-16
It's funny how the Universe works, and works things out. My buddy, "The Llama" happens to be free and adventurous during my last days in Philly. His knee surgery and subsequent rehabilitation has him out of work during what's usually his busiest time of the year.

As my countdown began, I wasn't really counting on hanging with him much, but as fate would have it... well, I mentioned this before.

Most of the time, I'm vary available to do whatever; whether it's driving down to Maryland to eat lunch out of skillets, heading up to Times Square to dance on rooftops and see a comedy show - or - just jump in the Jeep and end up where ever... Like maybe Small Hills in North Jersey to shop, (It's funnier than I could ever describe) and spend a few moments with one of our brothers from the area (photo).


The Fitness Thing


Sky Room Roof Top Lounge Manhattan
One of the reasons I've neglected this blog is because I've been posting a regular blog about my running project... which is more of a jogging project.

Again, there's an idea involved - and it goes like this. Run for thirty days and see what happens. actually I have an idea that I can lose fat-weight by running and up to this point - well, I am maybe 1 pound lighter than I was when I started. Don't get me started on that rant. Quickly I'll offer that although I tell myself I am running off weight I am getting many more benefits from this project than fat-weight loss. I am especially pleased with the development of my legs and the muscularity that has taken place. I don't know that there's any measurable growth, but these badboys are thicker and harder... and more sturdy (and look good in compression fit running pants.)

I also expect that my lungs and heart have become stronger as well, although sometimes when I run they don't seem to be. Those moments I attribute to dehydration, although I don't seem to do too much about it.

Happy with the results... Nov. 2016, YMCA
As of today, I still have four runs left to complete my goal. In case I forget (because I may not look at this blog again for many years), here's the recap. I started running down the Cobbs Creek Parkway, two miles, on Sept 29th, as the result of a conversation with a SEPTA sales clerk. I suggested that she walk 30 minutes a day for 30 days. I decided to take my own advice, only I'd run it.

The rules I set had to be altered, for instance, I had to run at least a full mile for it to "count." There's no time limit to getting this done. I expect to complete it within 60 days however. That comes out to running every other day. At this point, the best I can do is 52 days. (This is day 48).

In the meantime, a friend wanted me to train her (for free) two nights a week. We do multiple (like hundreds of) squats, stretching and some other leg exercises to round out the session, so in addition to teaching classes at the YMCA, running several times a week, and the morning workout,  I'm doing squats twice a week. (Sometimes once a week, because my schedule is filling up.)


The Gig

Looks like a little celebration at the gig will be unavoidable. I'm sure i will get into the spirit. After 29 years, I suppose I can participate. It's funny how sometimes I like being the center of attention, however for such events as retirement a surprise birthday party and such like that... I get a bit timid.

I'm glad they won't let me slip out of here unnoticed... the least I can do is show up... which, pretty much is what I've been doing for the past twenty years... and certainly the last ten.

I honestly cannot complain about this gig - since I changed my perspective and strategies, wants and expectations, it's been smooth sailing. One day perhaps I'll write about that as well. For this update, I think I'm done.








No comments:

Post a Comment